Tuesday 18 September 2012

New thoughts

I've been thinking about the project and I've become more interested in the MOBA game project idea, though with more depth. I am still interested in asking about the small game design idea but i have also though of ways to incorporate the use of my design into a mainly 2D focused project.
The idea is essentially to design a new MOBA game, not actually build it but just design one. Most of what makes a MOBA game great is the characters, games like DOTA 2 and League of legends have vast amounts of diverse and unique characters for players to use. My MOBA game would probably not stray too far from the standards you would expect form a game in the same genre as most of my design work will be about the characters and how they work in game. Most MOBA games characters have four abilities and a basic attack, i would then be able to design characters through methods like gameplay ideas, story ideas (character or even based on their homeland) or create characters and then design the best gameplay that would work for them.

I think creating a game like this from scratch could give me a good amount of freedom to explore and improve my 2D artwork and try my hand at designing for a style game i previously haven't worked on.
As far as how this would be useful for me, i have always like coming up with stories and building a history for games and their characters. Although i may be being slightly optimistic, getting a job at a company like RIOT games, the creators of League of legends would be a great job. If not, MOBA games are quickly becoming one of the most popular genres on the market and more studios and working on them for future releases.
Past this i could also design my own arena map where the game takes place, these are usually mirrored to make it fair to both teams. Even so there are a lot of balancing issues and tactics that need to be thought of in order to create a good design. I also though of actually making the arena, not playable but as a kind of scene. this may be too much if not balanced and would likely be left as just extra supplementary work to do if i have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment