Monday 19 November 2012

Environments update

So I've been continuing my environment work and have gone in a new direction, I've been trying to paint for a while now and i'm pretty much coming to the end of what i can do in the time i have. I cannot paint, that is a fact, i do not have the skill for it and it was stupid of me to try and include it in my honour project of all places. I have instead been looking into other alternatives, frankly i like working with line art, it's what i'm good at and it's what i enjoy, it is time consuming but it at least gets me somewhere, I've been looking at environmental artists for weeks now and have gotten nowhere so i'm moving on. One other method i found was to mock up the scene in a 3d program, the person i looked at used Google sketch up but i don't like that, the interface is terrible so i'm using 3ds max. My plan is to do some light sketching to get out some rough ideas of what this arena is going to look like and then model it as best i can so that i can work over renders with accurate perspectives and lighting.

So far i have drawn this.

It's a mixture of natural and mechanical, the way i wanted it, i tired to mix in some architectural elements too but it's kinda hard from this angle and it's only a rough sketch. I started modeling the arena and the mountains around the edge of the arena. I found mountains and terrain are hard to block model, i instead went into mudbox and tried to sculpt the terrain from a plane, this was the result.

The terrain itself seemd to work out ok but i have no idea what happened with all those patches when i imported it into 3ds max. In order to get the right shape i had to use subdivision which vastly increases the poly count and in 3ds max there were just far too many polys and vertices to actually see anything which would make placing things kind of hard. I either need to find a way to use less subdivision or just try and complete the block model 3ds max version.

No comments:

Post a Comment