Tuesday 13 November 2012

Trying some artwork

Now that i have my arena map created i attempted to do some environmental artwork. I don't really know how to do environmental artwork though, I've never been able to do it and i can't really paint to save my life.

I've watched a bunch of videos of people doing environmental artwork and some other videos of techniques and tried to apply them to artwork.


I watch a lot of Feng Zhu's tutorial videos.


I also watched this video of one of my favourite artists, Luke Mancini. He currently works for Blizzard.


This is one of his images that recently caught my eye, it's very simple and predominantly uses a simple square brush. It has great composition but uses very simple and subtle shapes.


I tried to do use a similar technique and it really didn't work. I really don't like painting and even less without line art, line art is my bread and butter, it's what i like doing and it's what i'm good at. This piece is all around bad, the composition is bad, the perspective is bad. I need to find a better way of working that i'm comfortable with. I have also done a sketchy environment piece.


But this one isn't much better. I think i need to look are more basic tutorials, find out the rules and guidelines to doing environmental art. Without understanding i'm just not going to be able to grasp this, i don't have long to do these environment pieces either.

No comments:

Post a Comment